Monday, February 22, 2010

Profile Pitch Piece on Mark Wahlberg

I am hoping to be writing my final piece on the once 38 year-old rapper turned actor and producer, Mark Wahlberg. In this celebrity profile I will be focusing on Wahlberg’s amazing shift in the media from his troublesome years before and during his musical career to his now successful acting and producing career. I believe the change from rapper to actor was the best thing that could’ve ever happened to him. His story proves that there are some people who are meant to make music and some who are meant to make movies and he found his way to the right path of acting.

I will be using Wahlberg’s dark “bad boy” history to lead into his rapping career when he was a part of the musical group ‘Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch’. I will be using many different biographical sources and interviews of Wahlberg. I’ll also be using some of his old hit songs such as Good Vibration and Wildside. I will use Wahlberg’s films as my primary sources. Films such as Fear (1996), The Italian Job (2003), Four Brothers (2005), Shooter (2007), and his most recently released film The Lovely Bones (2009). I will be using all these sources to support my case that his troubled history, turning him into a rapper then crossing over into acting was the best decision of his life. Although Wahlberg plays in a range of different movies, in most of them he plays the same “bad boy” that he once was growing up.

I believe I am the right person to write about Mark Wahlberg due to my fascination of his complete turn around of his life/career and as a passionate viewer of his films. This piece will be “sassy”, perhaps dark and mysterious piece, a reflection of Wahlberg, but captivating. It will open readers’ eyes to things they never knew about the big hunk of muscle called Mark Wahlberg and how he did a 180 and turned his life around when it seemed like it was about to spiral into a black hole.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Marky Mark! I can't wait to learn more about him from your piece. Don't forget to include some kind of statement on what it means that he successfully made the shift and is a celebrity in our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really original idea! One thought, although it is a bit late in the game, the HBO (I think) show "Entourage" is directed by Mark Wahlberg and I believe I read somewhere that the storyline is loosely based on his experiences coming to Hollywood. Are you going to look into his behind the scenes career at all? It's a great show even if it does not make its way into your paper. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete