Monday, March 15, 2010

Gaga has finally gone coo-coo?

Thoughts On Recent Gaga Music Video

Lady Gaga’s most recent music video ‘Telephone’ featuring the Queen B, Beyonce, has had some good and bad reactions. I’ve heard some of my peers express how disgusted they are by her new video, maybe over reacting just a little. Although Gaga does pretty much shove her crotch into the camera and has nothing but little strips of tape covering her nipples in one scene, are people really that surprised? I mean it is Lady Gaga we’re talking about, she’s like the new and extreme Madonna, and her music videos are bound to cause some controversy. As for me, yeah I thought some of the scenes were bizarre, her wearing sunglasses made of cigarettes, her making out with a girl/dude and crotch grabbing that person; I’ll admit that’s strange. But for some reason seeing Gaga do this doesn’t bother me that much.

Lady Gaga is one of the few artists that is super comfortable with herself, her body and sexuality, and she expresses it through her music and videos. So when I see her dancing in a jail cell wearing nothing but a thong and a bedazzled bra and torn fishnet leggings, all I think in my head is “well there goes Gaga again”. What’s the big deal? If you don’t like her videos or how raunchy she is there's an easy solution: DON’T WATCH/LISTEN TO HER. It’s like people complaining about rap videos with half naked girls and the artists calling girls ‘bitches’ and ‘hoes’, again same advice, just don’t watch them or listen to them. Clearly Gaga doesn’t care what other people think of her, she’s going to do what she wants regardless of people “bitching” about her videos.

Those are just my thoughts. Has anyone else seen this music video, what do you think about it?

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you wrote about this, because music videos are an important art that often get overlooked. Although I sometimes hate to admit it, I really like Lady Gaga. When people complain about her provocative behavior and dress, I respond just as you do, "Who cares?"
    In the video when Lady Gaga only wearing tape on her breasts and fishnets blurring her privates, one of the prison guards says, "Well I guess she doesn't have a dick" (or something like that) to which the other guard replies "too bad." Lady Gaga showed herself almost completely naked as a big FU to everyone who rumored that she had a penis.
    One aspect of the video that really bothered me at first was the product placement (virgin mobile, wonderbread, miracle whip) but then I realized that I was watching the video for free on YouTube, and although 12 million views is a great stroke of the ego, it doesn't make her a whole lot of money.
    Thanks for writing about this! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah i noticed that shot at the media for saying she had a penis then her proving she didn't by showing her privates. I thought that was clever and should tell the media to back off of that dumb rumor. I noticed the random product placement as well, i found that to be super strange. I was kind of disappointed that the video wasn't a club setting like i had envisioned it, but now i realize that for Gaga, that'd be too predictable. I kind of liked how the music video paralleled from 'Thelma and Louise'. I don't know if anyone else made that connection.

    ReplyDelete