Monday, March 15, 2010

World Cup 2010

World Cup 2010: Official Song Battle

I don’t know how many people are even interested in the 2010 World Cup but I know I’m very excited. It’s sad to be a big futball fan but live in a country where the only people interested are the athletes that play the beautiful game, used to play, or are close to someone who does play. But being born and living in Europe, every single person loves the game. But I was recently having an argument about the official song of the Cup. The World Cup has a new official song, like the NBA Finals do, or every new season the Pistons have a new “pump up” song.

For the World Cup of 2010 the official song seems to be ‘Wavin Flag’ by K’naan. I don’t know if you’ve heard of it, but it does connect pretty well with the Cup games. But there seems to be a little bit of a disagreement between that song and ‘Oh Africa’ by Akon featuring Keri Hilson. Although it is not stated as the official song for the games many people think otherwise. Anyways I was arguing with some fellow futball lovers and players here at K about which would be best as the official song.

My argument was that ‘Oh Africa’ would fit better for the Cup because the song is about where the Cup will take place, it talks about “taking it to the goal”, referring to a soccer ball, and the music video features actual, big name futball stars (well to people who actually know the sport) Didier Drogba and Fernando Torres, and photos of other big name futballers. It also shows people of all different types of ethnicities and nationalities face painted in various flags. And maybe me being African is a little bias because the music in Akon's song is so upbeat and rhythmic, it reminds me of African songs i've grown up hearing. But K’naan’s song doesn’t even have a music video, he does speak about the “champions taking the field” and says “the beautiful” and is talking about flags, but it lacks the connection that Akon’s song has.

Any other futball…I mean soccer (to Americans, haha) fans or Akon or K’naan fans have an opinion?

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely excited for the cup, but I've not heard of the theme song controversy. I like the K'naan song and haven't heard the Akon one, so I'm not sure which one I'd choose, but I think its an interesting issue!

    ReplyDelete